Male-identified allies SHOULD BE:
- Assisting feminist leaders.
- Supporting feminism and standing up for women in contentious, hostile spaces. (Not speaking for them - standing up for them.)
- Listening more than speaking.
- Asking, “How can I help?”
- If in a role as a candidate for a graduate degree in gender studies, or a professor in W&GS, centering women in discussions - always, always, always - and going out of your way to include women speakers.
Male-identified allies SHOULDN’T BE:
- Acting as feminist leaders.
- Speaking over women in contentious, hostile spaces, if not asked or requested to do so.
- Speaking more than listening.
- Asking, “But why don’t you accept me?” with the insinuation that support is conditional on being coddled.
- If a candidate for a graduate degree in gender studies, or a professor in W&GS, centering every conversation on you and your penis, and what ~* other dudes *~ think about feminism. Being sure to talk over women at every turn, and focus class discussions on jizz facials.
In response to this, and the ensuing controversy.